Wednesday, February 1, 2012

This Is Me - Challenge #4

PLAYTIME
(When you have a few minutes or a few days, what do you like to do in your 'play 'time?)

Play time, ever heard of it? Yeah, me neither.

Actually that's not entirely true. I don't get a lot of it, but I know that I function better when I have time to do something for myself (my husband knows it too). Therefore, while it isn't necessarily the first priority I have, it is a priority that is attended to.

Play time. For me this is anything that I can do for ME! It isn't for the kids, it isn't for my husband, it isn't for my calling in church or friends. This is something that sounds fun to me, and I do it because I want to- not because it needs to be done eventually.

What usually happens is a girls night out. A few of us get together to eat, talk, laugh, reconnect... It's lovely. There's something so comforting about an old friend. It's like getting together with your childhood blankie. This person (or persons) knows all of your history and has been there through multiple stages in your life. Understands where you came from and where you are now. I've had friends that I had a lot of history with but couldn't accept that as life changes friendships have to evolve. It doesn't mean that you can't still be friends, but maybe the way you celebrate that friendship has to be tweaked every now and then.

Other things I like to do in my playtime include: singing, reading (a lot), listening to music (sometimes I just like to sit in a quiet room and listen to music doing absolutely nothing else), going on a date with my husband (thank you co-op!), watching musicals, bike riding, taking a good walk, eating, baking and cooking, sleeping...

When I was younger I remember wanting to be alone, a lot. It's not that I didn't love being around my family, but a family of nine makes quiet time a premium. I remember going out into the backyard and laying in the grass and just looking up into the sky. I did other fun things too. I loved to play board games, see my best friend next door, play dolls with my sisters, NINTENDO, I really loved to write. When I was in junior high I read the entire Work and the Glory series within about 6 months.


No comments: