Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fwoshie

We have decided to give our aquarium another try. After 2 months of just listening to the water trickle into the tank I broke down and bought a few fish. Let me introduce you:














given name - nickname - Spanish translation

Rosario - Rosie - pink
Luminosa - Luma - bright
Raya - Raya - stripe


We bought 3 glowfish from a pretty sweet little aquarium store over on 90th south and 9th east. Now typically, I tend to want to get angelfish, tetras and betas. But they have a tendency to really not like our water. Let me illustrate; we have gone through about 1 fish in the last year because our water hasn't been at EXACTLY the right levels in regards to ammonia and stuff. Along with that and a bad case of ich we lost 1 beta, 1 swordtail, 3 tetras, 2 platys, 1 molly, 1 frog, 1 albino bushy-nosed pleco, and a batch of experimental goldfish (I don't remember exactly how many). Of course, we didn't add them all at once, we did things by the book... but our little fishes just would survive.

This is a last ditch effort to see if we can revive the idea of keeping an aquarium. We let the tank sit for 2 months without any fish to make sure it got through it's bio-whatever-cycles, had the water tested... AGAIN... and bought the hardiest fish known to man. Apparently they use glowfish as testers in polluted waters. These guys can survive anything.


As a side note Leah LOVES LOVES LOVES these 'shishees.' She says hi to Way (Raya), Buma (Luma), and my personal favorite Fwoshie (Rosie - wouldn't it just be easier to eliminate all the extra letters she's putting in there?). As we leave the house, Leah has taken to saying goodbye to the fishes and waves to the tank.

6 comments:

Amber said...

That is so cute! I hope they survive. If not, you can always have Rowdy.

Tracy said...

Oh, I love Leah. Good luck with the swishies. Have you ever gotten a plecastumus? I have NO idea how to spell that. You know, a sucker fish? I think ours (Pablo) was the key to the eternal fish in our tank a couple of years ago--seriously, our fish lived from 1 to 3 years each. No fish should live that long. It just gets boring. I can't remember if you've ever had a Pablo.

Tracy said...

Great pictures by the way.

Tracy said...

And where did I get 'swishies'? I meant 'fwoshies'. Much cuter.

Neff Family said...

Congratulations on your new family members! Leah is so cute. I need to see her again before she's driving!

Neff Family said...

I said "unfortunately I know the ending." And I will finish it, because I'm stubborn and I must. But, for the time being, I'm going to get some rest from it. Oy, it's sooooooo horrible.